Thursday, March 22, 2012

How to format to FAT 32 or EXT4 or anything else under Xubuntu 11.10

So again it happened after I used my USB key in a windows computer, the disk went back to read-only. And again I was stuck because I never actually wrote down how I had solved this before. So now that I fixed it again, I'm writing it!!!


  1. Install Disk Utility : sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility (You can also use Gparted but Disk Utility is much easier I find)
  2. Format your drive by clicking on the format button.
  3. Create a new partition (I usually make only one that contains the whole space). Note that you need a partition to be able to read the drive. 
  4. Select which type of encoding you want. I would suggest to use FAT, it's the most commonly found and the one less likely to bug.
  5. Click ok and wait for the partitioning to be done.
  6. Hit Safe Removal.
  7. Remove your key and plug it again.
  8. That's it, now it should work!!
Note that this works for any kind of USB storage device.


No comments:

Post a Comment